Recognizing the business value of Data Streaming
Posted By : Priyansha Sinha | 18-Dec-2018
Having readily available access to data is often considered extremely beneficial and crucial for the growth, development, and evolution of business. The major shift in how certain industry models function has been the most visible in video streaming. Services devised to stream music have transformed the way content is consumed, and also how achievements such as increased sales, market growth, etc, are made. Having said that, data streaming is now gaining pace in the technological realm and is greatly helping in real-time analyses and data ingestion.
Data Streaming is ideally suited to information that has no discrete beginning or end. It is the process of sending data records in continuation rather than in batches. Usually, data streaming is useful for the types of data sources that send data in very small sizes in a continuous flow, oftentimes in kilobytes, as the data is created. This might inculcate a huge variety of data sources such as e-commerce transactions, log files initiated by customers using web applications, or information gathered from social networks.
Traditionally, data moved in batches. Batch processing dealt with large volumes of data with long periods of latency. While this might be a rewarding technique to handle large chunks of data, it does not actually work effectively for data that is meant to be streamed since it might get stale by the time it is processed.
Defining Data Streaming For Your Business
Data Streaming is superlative and optimal for time series as well as for detecting patterns over time. Most IoT data is effectively suited for data streaming. Things such as health sensors, traffic sensors, activity logs, and transaction logs are all perfect elements for data streaming.
This streamed data is frequently implemented for real-time correlation and aggregation, sampling, or filtering. Data streaming allows you to monitor data in real-time and provides with useful insights such as server activities, website clicks, geolocation of devices, and metering.
A few use cases for businesses are:
- An e-commerce website streams clickstream records to discover aberrant behaviour in the data streams and initiates security alerts if the clickstream displays anomalous behaviour.
- A power grid analyses throughput and generates alerts whenever certain thresholds are attained.
- Financial institutions track prevailing market changes and fix settings to the customer portfolios as per the configured constraints.
- A news source streams the clickstream and records from its different channels & platforms. It enriches information with demographic details so that it can display contents that are more relevant to the audience demographic.
Overcoming Data Streaming Challenges
Data Streaming is an extremely powerful tool, however, there are a few hurdles that are common when working with various streaming data sources. The following pointers show some of the challenges that you must plan effectively while streaming data:
- Plan for data durability.
- Plan for scalability.
- Inculcate fault tolerance in both processing and storage layers.
Despite the traditional practices, it is high time that businesses start to explore new possibilities and implement for a better growth. If you are also looking for a change and want to adopt Data streaming services, let us know. We can greatly help you in more than one ways.