Using Hotel and Dorm Connect For The First Time On Roku
Posted By Anirudh Bhardwaj | 31-Jan-2018
Hotel and Dorm Connect is a brilliant feature on Roku that allows you to stream your favorite movies and shows over the internet while you are at a hotel or college dorm. You might have noticed that when you connect to a public network, it often requires logging in through a web browser. But with Hotel and Dorm Connect feature in Roku, you can authenticate the internet connection for your Roku Streaming device from your computer or smartphone.
To use this feature, you must carry the following equipments to the hotel or dorm where you want to access this feature to watch your favorite shows.
- An active Roku streaming device (Roku Stick or Roku Media Player)
- Connecting cables (A high speed HDMI cable, not needed in case of Roku Streaming Stick)
- Power Adapter
- Roku TV Remote
Apart from the aforementioned devices, you also need a laptop, computer or smartphone with wireless internet connectivity features.
Also note, the Hotel and Dorm Connect feature on Roku was introduced with the launch of Roku OS 8 and later. So if you are running on an older OS version, update to Roku OS 8 immediately.
You may also like How To Use The Remote Finder Feature On Roku.
How To Use The Feature At A Hotel or Dorm?
The first step is to set up your Roku device at the destination by establishing a secure internet connection. To initiate the internet connection, follow the steps given below.
- Go to Homescreen by pressing the Home button.
- Scroll up or down and go to Settings.
- Go to Network Settings > Set up connection.
- Select Wireless.
- Select the WiFi network of the Hotel or Dorm you are currently staying at.
- If you don’t see the WiFi network of the Hotel or Dorm, scan again to see all networks.
- When your Roku streaming device successfully connects to the network, select the option, I am at a Hotel or College Dorm.
Once you have successfully initiated a connection, you will see the next steps on the TV screen. You can complete these steps on your computer or smartphone.