Understanding The Software Peer Review
Posted By Ankit Bhatia | 24-Sep-2018
Peer review is the assessment of work by one or more people of similar proficiency to the producers of the work (peers). It constitutes a form of self-act by qualified members of a profession within the relevant field. Peer review procedure is employed to maintain standards of class, quality, improve performance, and increase credibility.
In Software development, peer review is a type of Software review in which document, code, or other is inspected by its author and one or more teammates, in order to analysis its technical content and quality.
The objective of a peer review is to give "a disciplined engineering practice for detecting and correcting defects in software artifacts, and preventing their leakage into field operations".
When implementing as part of each Software Development Process activity, peer reviews identify problems that can be fixed early in the development lifecycle.
1) Evaluating the efficacy of peer reviews, finds, "a favorable return on investment for software inspections; it is four times more costly, on average". To state it another way, savings exceed costs by 4 to 1 to identify and fix a software problem later.
2) That is to say, a peer review that recognizes a requirements problem during the Requirement analysis activity is cheaper and easier to fix than during the Software architecture or Software Testing activities.
Peer Review Characteristics:
- Peer Reviews are documented and use a defect apply process that has peers and technical specialist as part of the review process.
- The Review process doesn't require management participation.
- It is usually conducted by a trained moderator who is NOT the author.
- The report is to be prepared with the list of issues that needs to be forward.
2. ADVANTAGES OF PERFORMING PEER REVIEWS:
- In the peer review process, peer reviewers help software that is easy to read and maintain.
- Bugs are caught early.
- The peer reviewer process is cheaper and easier to fix than software testing tasks.
- Peer reviews improve the quality of product such as document, code, application by eliminating defects and also reduce cost.
- Improved team efficiency is a side-effect of peer reviews by improving team interactions.
Evaluation, Analysis, decision making, detecting defects and correcting mistakes are important in the software development process. Defects in the code reduce the class and quality of the software. Peer