Setting Up Yii Framework on Ubuntu
Posted By Varun Sharma | 09-Jan-2014
For Setting Up Yii Framework first you need to have LAMP installed on your system
Step 1: Installing LAMP
I'm assuming you already have Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) installed on your system.
1. Install Apache
sudo apt-get install apache2
2. Install MySQL
sudo apt-get install mysql-server
3. Install PHP
sudo apt-get install php5 libapache2-mod-php5
4. Check Apache
Open your web browser and navigate through http://localhost/. You should see a message saying, It works!
5. Restart Server
Your System should restart Apache automatically after installing PHP & MySQL if doesn't then run this command
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
6. Check PHP
You can check PHP by executing any PHP file from /var/www.
If that executes, then you are done with your LAMP setup.
Step 2: SetUp Yii Framework
1. You need to download latest version of Yii Framework
2. Unzip that & rename the extracted folder as yii_framework & place that inside /var/www directory
3. Finally your Yii Framework should be at /var/www/yii_framework
Step 3: Building First Test Application
1. First of all change permissions of your www directory
2. Run this command inside /var/www directory to create your test application.
php yii_framework/framework/yiic.php webapp testapp
3. The above command will make Yii application named testapp inside /var/www
4. Test the above application from your Web Browser by navigating to
>Hope it helps !