Basics Of SOAP And REST
Posted By : Sakshi Dewan Gandhi | 21-Dec-2017
SOAP and REST both are the web services communication protocols. SOAP is an another name for Simple Object Access Protocol. It is an XML based messaging protocol to exchange information between computers. SOAP is an application with XML specification. REST is the architechture which defines six constraints. These constraints are applied to the architecture.
Difference Between SOAP and REST
SOAP-It can't use REST, as it is a protocol.
REST-It can make use of SOAP protocol as it is just a concept and any protocol can be used by it like HTTP, SOAP.
SOAP-The abreviations is Simple Mail Tranfer Protocol.
REST-The abreviations is Representational State Transfer.
SOAP-To expose the business logic, it uses the web services interface.
REST-To expose the business logic, it uses the “URI”
SOAP-Example, JAX-WS is the java API for SOAP web services.
REST-Example, JAX-RS is the java API for restful web services.
SOAP-It defines the standards which will have to be followed.
REST-It defines the simple standards and not that strictly following types.
SOAP-It requires more resource and bandwidth.
REST-It requires less resource and bandwidth.
SOAP-It defines its own security.
REST-It inherits security measures from the underlying transport.
SOAP-It permits XML data formats only.
REST-This permits different data format search aHTML, JSON etc.
SOAP-It is less prefered than REST.
REST-It is more prefered than SOAP.
REST is simple to use as it make use of HTTP, and it offers a number of other benifits than using SOAP.
The topmost benifit is SOAP has only single data format support whearas REST supports a number of data formats.
When we coupled JSON with REST then it shows better performance as the parsing becomes faster, works better with data. In this case REST is considered better.
REST has a better support for browser clients, all thanks goes to JSON.
REST gives you better performance when we talk about caching the information which is not changed and which is not dynamic.
It serves as better protocol when we have to do work with major services like ebay, yahoo, Amazon, Google stc.
REST uses lesser bandwidth than SOAP, also it is faster than SOAP. It is easier to integrate with existing websites, when there is no need to refactor site infrastructure. Eventually, this is a help to the developers to work faster becaouse they don't have to work on a site from scratch. Moreover they can simply add some functionalities.
There are only some use cases where only SOAP can be used, otherwise REST is the typically preffered protocol.
If we need security in particular, and may such use cases then we prefer to use SOAP
- SOAP offers additional offers, for maintaining the data privacy and data integrity.
- It provides indentity verification via intermediaries rather than just point to point as in case of SSL..
- SOAP also provides, retry logic which is build-in. To compensate for failed message communication.
- With SOAP's standard of HTTP protocol, it becomes easier to operate across firewall and proxies without any alterations to the protocol.
- SOAP is very rarely needed, sometimes the use cases requires the greater reliability in terms of transaction, then this protocol is used.
- Sometimes lesser coding is required if you are comparing REST with SOAP, in applications where context and content is there.